Saturday 5 January 2013

Planning 2013

I have just about completed my planning for 2013. First I came up with learning objectives for each subject area; by this I mean what I want each child to learn over the year. I used the NSW and new Australian Curriculum for ideas but I did not stick rigidly to them or to the age groups. Some of the objectives in the government curriculum are dumbed down beyond belief. I also used the UK National Curriculum for more ideas, along with adding in extra personal objectives of my own. We have objectives for the following subjects:

  • Maths
  • English
  • Science
  • Computing
  • Geography
  • History
  • Art
  • Sport
  • Music
  • Design and Technology
  • Life Skills
  • Religious and Cultural
  • Projects and autonomous work

Once I had my objectives I had to decide how I'm going to achieve them. I will be "teaching" the children in 5 different ways:

  • Using structured formal curriculum
  • Unit studies
  • Cross curricular
  • Real life experiences/autonomous
  • Visits and trips

Some subjects lend themselves more readily to a particular way of teaching and learning. Maths, English and computing in particular have many cross curricular links. During the mornings I plan to work in a structured way on maths, English, computing, and music. The other subjects will be taught in the afternoons using unit studies and real life experiences. As usual we have many trips planned.

In terms of subject matter this year here's what we are going to cover:

  • Counting, tables, number bonds, calculations, Roman numerals, money
  • Fractions, percentages, decimals
  • Time
  • Measuring and converting between units of measurement
  • Shapes, angles, symmetry and tessellation.
  • Data recording, graphs, averages
  • Chance
  • Reading and using texts
  • Spelling, grammar, handwriting, writing, poetry
  • Talking to an audience
  • Weather, Earth science, space, nature study
  • Touch typing, databases, image manipulation, using the internet, 
  • Maps, globes, local and world geography
  • Family history
  • Ancient china, Rome, Medieval times
  • Drawing skills, sketch books, experimental art
  • Artist study
  • Swimming, gymnastics, basketball, dance
  • Piano, music reading, composing, listening to music
  • DIY and gardening
  • Cooking and chores
  • Health and safety
  • Celebrations within the Australian and world community

You can take a look at some of our curriculum resources below:

No comments:

Post a Comment