Saturday 7 January 2012

Are There 7 Days In A Week?

Are there 7 days in a week? We no, not in this household! With Dad doing shift work, 3 days on and 3 off, our weeks are 6 days long. In the past, with a 4 on 4 off shift our week has been 8 days long. Never in recent memory has our week been 7 days.

That's how we like it. We couldn't imaging a life with only 2 days off. Only being able to go places on weekends when its crowded. No thanks!

However the majority of  the rest of the population have a 7 day week. That's where the problems start. For us a "weekly" routine lasting 6 days would be perfect. However swimming lessons, music lessons, hangouts and more all run to a 7 day week. No matter how hard you try (and believe me I've tried) its impossible to combine these 2 routines perfectly. No wonder we never know what day it is!

So here's the thing. I've planned all I want to cover in this years home education, but I'm still searching for a routine that works and gets everything done. We've been working on "school" for 4 days of the week (this includes weekly external classes), with 1 day for hangouts, 1 for trips and 1 free to do whatever we like. However I feel that there is a bit too much to cram into those 4 days. 5 days would be better but the that's 83% of our 6 day "week" taken up with "school". Too much.

So what's the solution? I don't know but I'm working on it...watch this space.

No comments:

Post a Comment